Sunday, June 16, 2019

Survival Sunday 224: Green Tea Tastiness

I'm not a big fan of green tea, to be honest. I don't hate it or anything, I'm just not a fan. I figured that the noodles I was making the other day would just be for Z, who seemed super into them, but... well... they were pretty decent!

The package on the left is the Green Tea soba (or maybe somen?), but the one on the right is a hot soba with wakame!

Step one of the green tea noodz - take everything out and prepare the dipping sauce.

Pour water into a bowl.

Add sachet (or both, in our case) to water!
 At this point, I was boiling water for the noodles (both Z's and mine). That took a while, so I prepped my weird noodles.

Those flat twiggy things soften into these weird, weblike masses of seaweed.
They're almost upsetting at first, but then you eat them and they're delicious.
This was also an odd bowl because the soup base was liquid, which I rarely see!
 When the water had boiled, I added the green tea soba/somen (not sure which).

Here the noodles are, dry. They were an almost olive green, and they smelled very nice.

I was sad that they lost a bit of their vibrancy in the water, but they were still cool looking!
 Now, at this point, I decided to hold off on my noodles until I'd already cooled Z's, since doing the heating at the same time would result in gross, soggy noodles for me. Once the green noodz were done, I poured them all into a bowl in the sink and started rinsing them with really cold water so they'd stop cooking!

I think it went well.
I squeezed out the noodz and prepped mine. Sadly, I forgot to photograph my bowl when it was finished, since it basically went straight from the counter into my mouth. Mine was soy-saucey, oceanic, and delicious. I love wakame.

Z and I shared both bowls, taking turns and dipping the cool, slippery green tea noodles into their tart, fascinating sauce (was that also soy based? I'm not sure, but it was good!). It was a mild enough dipping sauce that we could even drink it at the end!

The noodles themselves were delicately flavored with the green tea, and as someone who doesn't normally love the flavor, let me assure you, it just tasted like a summer day spent in the shade. Definitely a "green" flavor, and a pleasant one at that!

If you got these in your Umai crate but you're on the fence about whether or not you want to try them, absolutely do. I would probably pair these with a light cucumber salad and an iced tea if possible. Lovely. They've encouraged me to try more green-tea-flavored things!

The hot soup, however, is great as a quick lunch with a soda (maybe Ramune if you can get it!) and maybe some carrot sticks!

That'll about do it for me today!

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!