Sunday, June 2, 2019

Survival Sunday 222: Gift Egg Ramen

There is a Thai food... well, it's not a truck. It's a small wooden building with a wondrous little kitchen and amazing people inside. This tiny culinary hotspot nestled off to the side of the ferry terminal and produces some of the best inexpensive food in town. The tamarind chicken is both perfectly sweet/tart and spicy as heck. The pad Thai is perfection. The peanut chicken is creamy and incredible.

And the owner is a saint.

No, seriously, she's amazing. If I had to put up with bizarre demands from idiot tourists as often as her, I'd go ballistic. But she remains kind and calm and unbelievably generous. 

Which is why Z and I wound up with a small baggie of freshly boiled eggs on Mother's Day.

So what do you do when your favorite restaurateur hands you free food? You make noodles, of course! What else do you expect from me at this point?

Kenko foods are usually pretty reliable, but even the spicier ramens aren't that spicy...

Hot sesame oil, on the other hand, is very spicy.
 Z and I enjoy putting together noodles, and we like to divide the labor. If it needs cutting, Z handles it. If it involves boiling, frying, or other cooking, I handle it.

I think Z did a fantastic job cutting the gifted eggs, don't you?
By now, you probably know the drill on how to cook ramen noodles. Add water to pot. Boil. Add noodles. Wait two to three minutes. Take noodles out and put in bowl. Add flavor packets and water to taste. Mix.

Simple, bland shoyu ramen. I think.
I don't actually remember which ramen that is.
It looks like a shoyu ramen...

Then I floated our halved eggs in a desirable pattern.
Here's where things go a bit weird. I'd been feeling under the weather, and so had Z, so when I added the sesame oil, I may have gone a bit overboard. Thankfully, the furikake helped combat the heat.

That red? That's the hot sesame oil.
And yes, it's about as hot as you'd fear.
In the end, it was a nearly punishing bowl of ramen, and both Z & I were coughing through the capsaicin burn.

Good burn!

Okay, so if I'm going to make this again, I would:
1) add less water.
2) add less hot sesame oil
3) add maybe a touch of curry powder
4) add a tiny bit of green onion

How do you guys gussy up your instant noodles? Do you add eggs?

Also, thank you again to Sue from the Thai Tugboat, because those eggs were amazing. They really made the noodles work!

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!