Saturday, June 22, 2019

Saturday Casual Gaming 225: Peggle Blast

Alright, you guys already know how much I love Grandma Games, so here is the most Grandma Game I've played this year:

PACHINKO!
 I love the older games that cropped up on the internet. I spent weeks on Bejeweled, Plants vs Zombies, and pretty much everything else that PopCap came out with, so I decided that, when I saw a free version of Peggle on the Google App store, I'd give it a look.

But what is Peggle?

It is, simply put, Pachinko. A weird pinball-like game where you're trying to hit certain areas of the board to gain points and progress. It's huge in Japan.

I don't think you quite understand me.

It's huge in Japan.


But that's not really all Peggle is. This is a game about unicorns, magic, balls, and pegs.

See? Pegs and balls.
You control a cannon that fires little balls at these pegs. Blue pegs are worth points, which can add up quickly and give you free balls, but the orange pegs are what you want to aim for. These are necessary. You have to hit them within a certain number of shots or you lose. You don't want to lose. That would make Bjorn the Unicorn very sad.
See how happy winning makes him? You want him to be happy, right?
So you ping the balls against the pegs, you get your points, and suddenly, you're face-to-face with a bright orange unicorn named Fnord - Bjorn's angsty brother. Fnord is a jerk. I like him. Too bad he doesn't like me, so I keep having to smack him down by throwing balls at pegs until he capitulates to Bjorn's demands. I can understand why he'd be annoyed with Bjorn. Anyone who establishes a fantasy kingdom based, not on magic or money or even weird social constructs, but instead on a form of gambling popular in the Roppongi area, is perhaps not sane. But everyone loves Bjorn. Poor Fnord.
Yes, that's a pirate octopus lady with a gold tooth and an earring in her head.
In this bizarre dystopian fantasy land, you are tasked with peggling your way through level after level, learning mechanic after mechanic, and retrieving item after item for Bjorn. Fnord continuously attempts to stymie you, but... alas, you are forced to ally with Bjorn.

And yes, Bjorn's requests do get more and more bizarre.
All in all, for a game about unicorns and balls, this is a really good time. If you're looking for a time-waster, this could work for you. It's free to download and play, though you may end up watching a few ads for bonuses or extra lives, and there are paid elements (getting more bonuses, extra lives, etc), but it doesn't seem to be Pay-To-Win yet. I say "yet" because I'm not too far in. Maybe 30 levels in. Regardless, if it does start to feel Pay-to-Win, I'll yeet this app right off of my phone.

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

PS: Fight the power. Fnord forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!