Sunday, June 30, 2019

Survival Sunday 226: Hakata Style Part 2

Well, Z and I are maybe a little obsessed with Hakata-Style Tonkotsu. We got a second package of "animal free" Hakata-style Tonkotsu (which, again, is supposed to be an animal-free pork bone broth), and we kinda went... nuts.

So, the first thing we did, we dumped a bunch of frozen corn in a pot to heat up
It's usually pretty wise to add your veggies first while cooking. Veggies tend to heat slowly, especially when they're completely frozen like this corn was.

I used this picture in a previous recipe...
Eggs are a great source of extra protein in these kinds of dishes. You may notice I use eggs a lot in noodle dishes. That's because they're easy to prepare (especially alongside our meals as they cook).

And where would a noodle dish be without the noodles?
These are the Hakata-Style "Animal-Free" Tonkotsu  we've been loving from Umai Crate.

I feel like I did well with this egg.
We cooked the noodles in the usual way, boiling them until they're just soft enough to eat without stabbing ourselves in the gums. Which is to say, too soft for Z, who would rather eat noodles dry. What a butt. :P But seriously, we both like nice, firm noodles. They're really good that way!

We also got some sea lettuce furikake!
Sea Lettuce is a sort of green, flappy seaweed that proliferates the oceans.
It's tasty, it's useful, and it makes awesome furikake!
I like to throw my eggs in around the same time as my noodles if I'm "poaching" them. This is for two reasons: one is that the yolks don't overcook if I take them out with the noodles, and the other is that the noodles can sometimes hold the eggs off of the bottom of the pan, which can keep them from burning.

Trust me, cleaning burned-on egg out of a pan you're borrowing is always a harrowing experience, regardless of how little egg there is.
But you cannot argue with results.
 I love these noodles. They're thin, firm, slippery, and they really just bring out all of the good parts of the rich, creamy broth!
As you can see, that's one creamy, creamy broth!
I leave you with one last glamour shot of this delicious meal:

And yes, this was plenty for two people.
That's right.
The Hakata-style is so filling that you can feed two big people with it.
If you've got the option for Hakata-Style Tonkotsu at any point in the future, take it.

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!