Saturday, February 16, 2019

Saturday Casual Gaming 207: Idle Guardians

Today's game is from BladeFire Studios and it's brand spankin' new!

Actually, it's only existed for a little over a week!

Because I totally needed another Idle game in my blog...

Blade Fire Studios has made one other game on Kongregate that I can see, and it's called Goldcraft. This is a bit more complex than Goldcraft, since I don't think you can do anywhere near as much party customization in that. I'm too dumb to put my party together in the best possible way, so for now I've got Durich the Human Warrior leading Thromm the Dwarf Wizard and Fel'Zul the Undead Hunter along, killing dark elves and gathering goodies in their default positions.

Sorry for the quality, it's really hard to find pictures of this game and I suck at screenshots...
The art design in this game is funky and fun - I like the chunky backgrounds and thin-lined heroes/monsters. I like the animations. I like the scrolling (very smooth). I like that it doesn't kill my ancient laptop while I play it, which is a problem I've had with games as simple as Tetris... 

The music is a looping orchestral piece that sadly, does not change with your location (it's the same flutes & strings from forests to caves to deserts), but it's a good looping orchestral piece. I don't know if they composed it just for this game or if it's something they picked up and put in the game. All I know is that I like it, even though it kind of overpowers the sword clangs.

Gameplay is simple - you can either just let your dudes wander and kill or you can pay attention to their portraits and activate their special attacks when they turn orange. There are upgrades, new heroes to recruit, quests for gems, and gear that you find when you beat bosses. I played for about an hour and got past level 45, so it's not the hardest game on earth, but it's pretty fun!

These pictures do not convey how nice the game actually looks.
This is essentially the same as clicking the 240p button on YouTube when your video is 720p or higher...
I'm pretty sure there's a prestige system with Portals, and I'm fairly sure there are extra game modes, too! Having used a Portal only once, I'm still pretty novice to their prestige system, but this seems like a promising game, and being only 9 days old at the time of writing this, I'm sure that they'll improve the game over time.

If you'd like to find this game, it's here on Kongregate. I don't know if there's a mobile port yet, though with how tiny the text is, I'd be concerned about legibility on a phone. It'd be a great time sink, though!

I think that'll do it for me today!

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!