Sunday, February 3, 2019

Survival Sunday 205: More Hot Pot!

I'm really fond of these hot pots we've been getting lately. This one, I think, would be pretty simple to replicate, since it was a soy sauce and yuzu pepper based, I think that you could actually whip up a soup base for this.

My theory is that the recipe would consist of garlic, a little ginger (maybe even pickled?), a ton of soy sauce, some yuzu (or lemon/lime rind/juice), pepper... I'd like to try to make some hot-pot soup from scratch at some point.

Anyway...

Here are our hotpot ingredients:
Sliced daikon (white disks), green bell pepper, endive (spears in back), bacon, carrots, broccoli rabe, and green beans
Three servings of liquid soup base, three servings of powdered soup base (for later), three servings of noodles
A tube of daikon-based dipping sauce

This is the package for the hot pot sauce.
I have no idea what it says, to be honest.
I should learn more Japanese!

The delicious salty noodles we ate with the soup!

The dipping sauce - it was surprisingly lightly spicy, pleasantly sour, and it really brought out the flavor in the veggies!

Here's what the soup looked like with one serving of liquid base & water (1 sachet : 1 cup water)

3 sachets of liquid soup and 3 cups water, sitting over high heat to get it nice and bubbly for the veggies!

I promise, everything except the bacon is in here.
We put the daikon & peppers in first
then the endive
then the bag of rabe, carrots, & beans
I broke the beans in half to make them easier to eat
but I missed a few

We left the bacon to cook down a little and we wanted the daikon soft
It took a loooooong time because I didn't turn the heat up high enough!

This hot pot called for us to have some broth but mostly veggies and to leave the rest of the broth in the pot!

After we finished (most of) our veggies
I popped back into the kitchen and tossed the three dry sachets into the pot with the broth.
I'm guessing these contained dry soy sauce and a bunch of other seasonings
This part would definitely be a place to experiment with!!!

Finally, I added the noodles to the pot and boiled them together with the new soup.
When it was all done, I brought the whole pot out and added the noodles to Z & my bowls.
I still had a bunch of veggies left, so I took less noodz.
The noodles were delightfully salty and firm!
I hope to experiment more with hot pots in the future - they're a fun way to get a whole meal out of a single pot, after all! This one was a delicious experience that I'd love to replicate. It really hit the spot with both of us, since we're still a tiny bit under the weather!

Now, I have a few brief questions for you, oh internet void:

Is there anything you'd like to see from the cooking segments more often? Should I bring back the spice of the week? Am I being clear enough with how to make things?

I guess that'll do it for me today!

Go Enjoy Something!!!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!