Saturday, April 27, 2019

Saturday Casual Gaming 217: War Clicks

So, the other night was a rough one. I had very little sleep, I had nightmares, and I was not in a pleasant mood when I woke up. I'd forgotten my phone in Z's room across town, and I was just... I was a cranky-pants. So I get to Z's, and we're having a good time watching movies & wrestling when I grab my phone and turn it on.

I had an email.

It was a very kind and very surprising email from someone I didn't know.

Someone who'd read my blog.

Someone who had a game called War Clicks that they thought I might be interested in.

Now, I'm freaking out a little, because it's never going to stop being awesome when people who make the things I like contact me out of the blue, but I'm a gosh-darn professional, and I'm going to put the work into it!

So I loaded up War Clicks when I got home and started playing.

It's pretty fun, guys!

I was pleasantly surprised by how much customization there is!
Generally speaking, idle games don't really give you a lot of avatar customization, and I like me some customization, so finding out that you can actually make a decent avatar in War Clicks was definitely cool. I think this avatar looks pretty intense. How about you?

Boot Camp
You start the game in Boot Camp, an area whose mechanic I'm very familiar with after so much time spent playing idle games. You build up a lot of military vehicles, hire trainers, buy upgrades, etc. As you build up your arsenal, more and more of the game opens up around you. The tutorials are easy to grasp & well-written, and I ended up liking the chunky little soldier guy who tells you how to do what you need to do to keep going!

The War Zone
Now, of course, having all that military hardware means you're probably going to blast someone apart at some point, and here's where things get new. I've played games with PvP before, and I've always hated it (Facebook Tetris notwithstanding) because matchmaking tends to be broken, and I'm just not a very good player with things like this. PvP rarely happens in the War Zone, and instead, you're left to fight stationary images of cruisers, destroyers, tanks, etc. When PvP does occur, it's basically simulated, and I haven't really felt like the game was punishing me for playing a PvP fight without giving them my own money (which is good, because like most people I know, I'm broke). You don't end up doing much of anything in the PvP, and that's perfect for an Anxious Annie like me.

No one calls you names. No one abuses you. No one makes fun of you if you fail. It's just a screen. It lets you remember that, at the end of the day, War Clicks is still a game.

I really appreciate that.

Also, I appreciate the innovations of an Auto-Clicker with a cooldown, optional combat support, and the refueling minigame!

I love me a button-masher!
Seriously, it's a pretty satisfying game. I'll take my warfare in clickable, low-impact mode, please.

No, seriously, I usually hate military-themed games. The player bases, in my (admittedly limited) experience have been bro-ish, creepy, and/or really angry, though when you do find someone who's helpful, they can be some of the kindest, warmest people on the internet. The games tend to be high-risk, low-reward, hoping your addiction to victory will overcome the fairly realistic fact that you've really done nothing and helped no one with these battles.

War Clicks is not those games. It's got fun, clean art, simple, fun "combat", accessible gameplay, and I haven't been called a single slur since I started! Sadly, I had just missed the Easter Event, so I can't tell you how fun that was, but if the rest of the game has been any indicator, it was pretty fun!

Even the music is neat! It's actually my style of music, too, with electronic beats and symphonic strings working together. Very cool.

So thank you, Mr. Jesenicnik of Gamex Studios, for telling me about your game. It's been a blast!

Now, my friends,

Go Enjoy Something!!!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!