Sunday, April 14, 2019

Survival Sunday 215: Noodz for You Doodz...

I'm running out of noodle puns, jokes, and general titles, guys... I may have to start reusing them :P

If you hadn't guessed yet, Z & I made more noodles recently. They were, as usual, from our Umai Crate, and this time, they were a Hakata Style Tonkotsu... but the package also said Animal-Free, so I'm not sure what they mean by that. See, Tonkotsu is a pork bone broth. I don't know how you have a tonkotsu without the "ton" (pork) ... regardless, here's how it went!

I pre-scrambled an egg to put in with the broth!

I can explain.
No, I can't. I'm just a bad photographer...
This is the two servings of broth and... garlic oil? I think it was garlic oil.

The package proper!

Hakata-style noodles are thin, thin, thin.
They will, however, make you thick, thick, thicc...

I did things a little differently this time around. Instead of boiling the noodles and then adding the broth packets to the noodles in either the bowl or the pan, I had to make the broth in its own pan. Since I hate doing dishes, I just took the finished noodles out, had Z portion them into bowls, and then made the broth with the leftover noodle-water. Starchy? Probably. The broth masked any starchiness, though.

Our fantastic, lovely noodles!
Those are tongs, not chopsticks.
The pasta spoon was afk (away from kitchen), as far as I could tell.
I was wrong. It was right in front of my face.
I has a dum

After taking out the noodles and letting the water boil back up, I tossed in our egg and let it turn into a golden fog.
I love making noodle-soups with the egg like this. It's so elegant and tasty!

Here's what the broth looked like in the pan before I put it in the bowls!
It was creamy, rich, and delicious! The egg really, really thickened it up, too.

Here's Z's bowl! We added some furikake on top to make a nice crisp garnish, and boy, was it good.
Moments after this picture was taken, both bowls were empty.
I should probably mention that these bowls are really big. They're about 1 Nintendo Switch across!
And they were full.
So were we.
I don't know how this Hakata-style Tonkotsu was made, but it was amazing. It was savory, not too salty, rich, and had that perfect umami flavor that just... unf. It was incredible!

The only things I'd add would be a tiny hint of scallion and a garnish of maybe a seaweed square or something. Not the wasabi-flavor seaweed snacks, though. The Wasabi would bite through the broth a little too brightly and upset the mellow tones. If I were going for spice, I'd add a drop or two of hot sesame oil or something...

Anyway, that's what we ate! It was awesome!

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!