Monday, September 9, 2019

Fiber Monday 237: Pumpkins On Your Wrists

Using a previous pattern for new items

So, I've discussed the fika pattern before, and how I've used the stitches for something which wasn't the actual pattern. This is mostly because I don't really wear infinity scarves or cowls. I don't like having draped fabric around my neck where I cannot control the tension. I'm note entirely sure why.

You know what I do like?

Fingerless gloves.

I've got... maybe a half dozen pairs now? They're great for when the weather is cool but not freezing, and they're great for adding warmth to gloves you wear during winter. I also think they look nifty.

Regardless, I had hoped to have these 100% done this week, but life (read: sleepiness) intervened, so I only have them 85% done. Ooh. 85%...


I'm not sure why it's so blurry. I'll be wiping the lens off.
Regardless, the rightmost glove is sewn up and waiting for a cuff.
The left piece is the second glove, which is nearly finished.

Now, to be very clear about how this works, I made a tube out of the Fika stitches until it was as wide as I needed. The dc/ch3 combos made up the lower edge, leaving the sides straight

Not sure why things aren't facing the right direction, but okay.
This means the sides are at the top and bottom of this image.

I'm using an H hook (5.00mm) and worsted-weight (4) yarn for this. It's some kind of discount brand I found at Ocean State Job Lot, and the color is much more pumpkin than whatever that is. I'm going to be using a dark green yarn as an accent color, and if I can find some, I'd like to add a brown button to each to simulate a stem. This is a pumpkin set, after all.

The first fingerless glove.

Basically, you make a rectangle as wide as you'd like and as long as you'd like, then you sew it up until you reach where you'd like your thumb-hole to start. You skip the length of your thumb hole, then finish sewing up the tube. You should leave the top and bottom unsewn so that your arm can go in. I'm telling you this because I auto-piloted through one of these once and ended up with a nice, empty pillow. Oops. Seam rippers aren't as useful for yarn, too...

So that's my progress on this little project. The next things I'll do are:

  • Finish the second fingerless glove's body
    • Sew up the second glove
    • Add the green trim to both gloves
  • Make a hat
    • Also using the "make a tube and sew it" method, but this time sewing or tightening the top shut
    • Making a pompom with brown yarn
    • Making decorative leaves with green yarn
  • Make a scarf
    • Make a long rectangle
    • accent with green and brown
This seems like a lot, but as long as I actually work on things, they should go pretty smoothly. I will do my best to work on things more consistently.

That being said, I'm also extra sleepy lately, probably because of the changing weather keeping me up late. The change from Summer to Fall is always more dramatic than Fall-Winter or Spring-Summer... Basically, I get hit at the major transitions.

I think that'll about do it for me today!

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!