Friday, September 6, 2019

Filmic Friday 236: Naptime Movie Critiques


I'll be perfectly honest, guys, I didn't really feel like blogging today. There's nothing wrong. I'm not unwell, I'm not canceling the blog or anything, I just... I don't feel up to blogging. I haven't had good sleep for a couple days now, and while I did get a full 8-9 hours in last night... it's not cutting it. I am on Big Mug #3 of excessive caffeine intake and... nothing. Not even a jitter.

Today's weather may be contributing to my lack of film critique/overview. It's a day of clouds and chilly breezes - a day I'd normally be over the moon about, but today, I'm just too darn tired.

So what am I planning to do on this cloudy, 64℉ (~18℃) day?

Probably napping, but while I am, I like to have some noise. YouTubers are great for this, especially long-form YouTube videos/channels.

While there are some YouTubers whose voices are... not conducive to restful sleep (PeanutButter Gamer, for instance, though he's still fun), I sleep like a very tired dead person, so that's not really a barrier for me.

Instead, I just choose people who I'd be happy to find chatting on my Roku or laptop. People I enjoy watching regardless of my waking state.

Here's some of these people:

Red Letter Media - specifically their Best of the Worst series. These Great Lakes geniuses have nailed down the forum-discussion of bad cinema to a science. Funny and irreverent, these folks make me happy to be surrounded by horror films I'll never watch and Sci-Fi flix I regret viewing (Cybernator, I'm looking at you...)

AVGN - Yes, he's best known for taking you back to the past to play games that suck... but James Rolfe also has his Rental Reviews and Monster Madness videos, which I love. It's sometimes easy to forget that he's also an aspiring filmmaker, but I would 100% watch one of his movies. Through my fingers. Because I'm a wuss.

Movie Nights - Once Obscurus Lupa Presents, this YouTuber is fantastic at finding the exact kind of 80s and 90s schlock I love. I'm not into hyper-obscure art films or crazy Italian horror movies, so seeing someone else with an intense love of Quantum Leap and other ridiculous touchstones of my childhood is fantastic. The fact that she's hilarious and has crossed over with Red Letter Media a time or three doesn't hurt either.

Cyborcat - Dena Natali is a gem of the internet. Sharing my love of Red Dwarf and survival horror, she also has her Film Den series, which covers everything from bad video game adaptations to beloved classics of horror.

PushingUpRoses - as the name may suggest, Roses' channel is primarily about things related to death, like Murder, She Wrote, or various games about spunky detective girls solving murders, or the awesome Grim Fandango. She also covers various childhood favorites of mine, like Hey Dude or Goosebumps. Definitely give her a look-see!

AgonyWolf Media - I first became aware of these fine people during the Dark Times, when Mystery Science Theater 3000 was unavailable and everyone was looking for their next riffing fix. They did some spectacular riffs, back in the day, and while I regret to inform you that they have been asked to cease doing so, if you can somehow find their older work, it's well worth it. These days, I follow them primarily for their other channel, Robot Co-Op, where they play and riff video games, and that's also cool. They're also working on their own horror series, Gray-Colored Glasses, but it escapes me where that's located.

BrutalMoose - the nomadic Brutalmoose has traveled across the country several times since I started watching, making videos everywhere he goes. Much of what he covers are video games, but he also does food reviews and, most importantly to today's blog, video/tv reviews. His chill presentation style and snappy editing are top-notch, but he's no one-trick pony. On top of the rest of the reviews, he has a somewhat randomly-updated series that I've fallen in love with, and honestly, it's one of the coolest things I've seen on YouTube: Televoid. Televoid defies explanation, but it is glorious and it is entertaining. I have actually had a hard time sleeping after some episodes, since it can be eerie, but it's worth the watch every time.


I'll be honest, I was gonna make this a Top 10 style list, but...

I'm really tired, guys.

I think I need to go take a nap.

I'll throw on some videos. Playlist or two. Then I'll rest until I don't feel like I need sleep anymore.

At least it feels like fallllllllllllllllll!

Go Enjoy Something
FC

PS: I'm still planning to do reviews of the last few movies I've seen (including Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood, and Superman, and I'm pretty sure a few others). I was just too pooped today :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!