Sunday, October 20, 2019

Survival Sunday 242: More Reviews!

In Which I Nom The Things

Boston was, as I've mentioned, a great trip. It was a much-needed break from the Blanket Fort, and it's always nice to be surrounded by friends. Bringing back a bunch of snax was just icing on the already decadent good-times cake!

Sadly, I don't have images of these last three snacks outside their packaging because my phone ate the pictures (I had slippery fingers while doing a mass-delete and was too dumb to have backed up those images... oops), so you'll just have to deal with my descriptions. Thankfully, with the exception of the mochi, you guys can probably guess what these treats look like - they're very much like the average US equivalents.


First we have tasty Korean Cheetos!

I'm not 100% sure what the flavor on these Cheetos was supposed to be besides awesome and delicious. I saw peppers, a tomato, and some garlic on the bag, which makes sense, because these crunchy little snacks were sweet, garlicky, and had just enough spice to be addictive as heck. As for what they look like... have you ever had a white cheddar version of Cheetos? Or just... cheddar cheese crunch snacks in general? Because they looked like pale Cheetos with maybe a few specks of non-cheese powder.

I could probably eat a pallet of these. They're my favorite Cheetos ever.


A potentially deadly chip...

I've slowly become a spice hound over the years. Yes, my acid reflux has gotten worse. Yes, I'm still a big weenie. But... spicy food is delicious, guys. It's amazing.

These Lay's chips are amazing. They're quite spicy, though it's the kind of spice that creeps up on you. You'll regret shoving a fistful of these tightly-rippled chips into your face within three breaths after swallowing. And it just gets more intense after the first minute. Within ten minutes, however, you're back down to gentle levels of "oh yeah, I ate a spicy thing, didn't I?" so this won't kill you if you're mildly sensitive to spiciness. I think. I mean, sometimes I'll eat a Pad Thai and think it was a little mild, then I'll look over at my mother eating the same thing with tears streaming down her face, so maybe I'm a bad judge of spice levels now?

Regardless, I could eat a lot of these, too.

Of the Lay's we tried, I think my favorite was probably the grilled meat chips we tried in the car on the way home. Sadly, I can still find no evidence of their existence, but if I ever get back to the H-Mart, I'll definitely buy more.

Also, I'll probably get a GoGo Curry Tonkatsu...

Finally, dessert!

I love mochi! Basically, mochi is what happens when you get angry at your rice and beat it mercilessly while kneading it. It's a soft, sweet dough made from glutinous rice rolled in some kind of starch (often potato starch) to keep it from sticking to you. It's about the consistency of a good marshmallow, and I'd say it's got a superior texture, in my opinion. These little mochis are filled with a peanut butter filling, so of course we fell on these like starving monkeys.

Individually wrapped like those big peppermints you can usually find at Staples, these tiny confections maybe didn't look quite like the packaging. Most of the starch had either been knocked off or had absorbed the oils of the peanut butter filling through the mochi making them resemble... uh... uh....

How can I actually visually describe this treat in a way that's appealing?

Ah! There we go!

They kinda looked like a slightly oily cookie dough wrapped around a firm blob of peanut butter! That's how I can describe it!

It's kinda how it tasted, too, which was nice :)

It was lightly sweet, very sticky, with a firm and pasty peanut filling that really satisfied the salty/sweet cravings I'd been having that day. The filling was a little dry, so that was a bit annoying, but I could easily eat a crate of them.

They were also only about the size of a half-dollar, so that's a lot of mochi....


That will do it for the treats I tried!

I hope you guys can get out there and taste-test some tasty treats of your own this week!

Go Enjoy Something,
FC


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!