Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Wednesdaymania 240: AEW, WWE, WTH

Talkin' bout Wrasslin

So, I have two major things to talk about today: AEW's new show starting tonight, and what on earth is this garbage going on on WWE?!

For those not in the know, tonight marks the first ever episode of Wednesday Night Dynamite, which is the name of All Elite Wrestling's new tv show. TNT will be running the show live at 8/7c from DC. It's probably going to be insanely cool! I am super excited, but also disappointed that there's no way to watch the show without having a TV subscription. I might be able to watch it from my folks' house, but I won't be there tonight, so I'm going to have to find another way to view it somehow...





Regardless, tonight is the night when WWE has some new competition. Which you'd think would mean they would up their game and become much, much cooler and better.

Instead we have not just one stupid storyline where a married wrestler cheats on their wrestler partner and is a terrible human being.

We get two.

Yay.

Because we all wanted to see Bobby Lashly shoving his tongue down Lana's throat.

Ew.

Seriously, that was just kinda gross, and that's coming from someone who legitimately enjoys a little drama with their wrestling (I've grown to like the manipulative cattiness from Brandi Rhodes, for instance, since it's true machination and not just "Mean Girls" bullpucky). I mean, I don't get what the problem is in WWE with people having proper, happy marriages? Historically speaking, when they run these sorts of storylines, the people end up splitting up for real! I mean, the worst case of this was when Chris Benoit ended up traveling with Kevin Sullivan's wife, Nancy. If you want to know how that ended up, spoilers: very, very, VERY badly.

I'm not saying anything bad will happen here with either the Kanelis thing or with the Rusev/Lana/Lashly thing.

But at best we'll all be annoyed for several months before Vince gets bored and ditches both storylines, and at the most realistic worst, we'll all have to endure the endless divorce proceedings.

So much for a women's revolution...



But back on the subject of AEW on TNT!

I don't know the full card for tonight, but I understand that there are several matches being advertised:

Kenny and the Bucks vs Jericho, Ortiz, and Santana - I know nothing about Santana and Ortiz, but this match is likely to become a bloodbath, and with Kenny's weird behavior on BTE lately, I wouldn't be shocked if he turns full heel during the course of the match, making it four-on-two by the end. I hope I'm wrong and that Kenny is kind of going for an "Okada With Balloons" approach to his madness.

Nyla Rose vs Riho - Oh, I cannot wait to see this match, and I'm not picky about how I see it. I like how Nyla presents herself. I like how tough and scary she is. I like how Riho moves. I like how she knows exactly how to work a crowd and the ring. These women are going to positively destroy each other in that ring, and I would be satisfied to see the Women's Title on either one.

Hangman Page vs PAC - Please, please, please give Hangman a win? I really love the dude and I would be thrilled to see him get his own back after this losing streak. It's time.

Cody Rhodes vs Sammy Guevara - Here's a match that really shows what they mean when they keep saying that "wins and losses matter" at AEW. There are consequences if Cody loses! If Cody does not win this match, he loses his title shot. Sammy Guevara could go from being that new guy who showed up in a panda mask that one time to being the first guy in line for a title match against Jericho! Also, both of these guys are fantastic wrestlers, so this match will be awesome.

MJF vs Brandon Cutler - MJF is probably the best heel in the business right now. He's so good at being a bad guy that I literally cannot follow him on Twitter or I think my head would explode (I'm very easy to emotionally manipulate when it comes to wrestling, which is both a blessing and a curse). Brandon Cutler is a really, really nice guy. They're both good wrestlers, and with such a truly diametric opposition of attitudes and approaches, this could be a really fascinating match.

I look forward to seeing who wins and loses, how the matches go, and who the new Women's Champ is going to be!

That'll about do it for me today,

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!