Saturday, July 13, 2019

Saturday Casual Gaming 228: Incremental Popping 2

I'll be honest, I've never played the first Incremental Popping game from Diamonax on Kongregate, but since I have played other chain reaction games, I basically got to just breeze through the opening.

If you couldn't tell, this is a very, very simple game.
Simple, here, is not a bad thing!

This is a chain reaction based single-button game. That means that you only need one button - your right mouse button, to play this game, and every move makes other things happen.


Colorful, pretty things.

In this case, you lay a starting circle/charge by clicking on a point on the screen. There are colorful balls bouncing around the screen like in a Breakout-style game, and if they bump against the circle, they'll expand into another circle, possibly giving you higher scores. Higher scores give you more money, and if you "pop" all of the balls, the screen refreshes and gives you more balls to pop, leveling you up, somewhat.

The money is useful. I think...

Now, generally, when you are playing one of these incremental games, the gains you make are slight, but noticeable. I... don't really notice much improvement when I'm playing this game. I've leveled up, I've popped lots of balls, and I've paid for a lot of upgrades, but... I'm still not 100% sure what use the Boost function is? I think it speeds up the balls on the screen if you click and hold anywhere after laying your initial charge. Still, it's kinda fun, and I can't bring myself to badmouth a game this neat.


And, of course, there are Achievements!

I haven't played this game too long, so I'm not surprised that I only have one of the Achievements so far, but... no balls at all? That's gonna be hard.


There's also a Statistics screen!

I love knowing what I've done and how much I've done, so I love screens like this. I also like games that forgive you if you botch things early on and allow you to wipe your game data. It allows me to try a game and, if I enjoy playing it, start over fresh so that I can take notes on it while I play start-to-finish for the blog!

Now, you can see that the graphics are ultra-simple. 2D balls bouncing around a 2D plane with a very, very faint grid in the background, plus some text here and there. Mechanically, too, this game is extremely simple - click, wait, maybe click-and-hold for a little extra speed.

The music is where this game shines.

It has a lovely, jazzy score that I enjoyed listening to the entire time I played. I usually mute games because I have a low threshold for music and sound effects, but since this game is 100% lacking in sound effects, the music was able to really shine. I dig it!

You can find this game here on Kongregate, and I strongly recommend giving it a play.

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!