Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Wednesdaymania 230: Sumo, AEW, and More!

Well, this has been a fairly quiet week on the me-watching-pro-wrestling end of things, but it hasn't been too quiet!

Spoilers: Kakuryuu won!

First up, let me offer my congratulations to Kakuryuu for kicking butt in this season's Sumo tournament. The Nagoya Basho of 2019 was a whirlwind of emotion. Hakuho very nearly got the Yusho (which means that he nearly won the tournament overall), but he could not put down older Yokozuna Kakuryuu, who he struggled against in the final bout. The two make excellent rivals, and I hope they can keep up the pace next Basho (tournament)!

Sadly, my favorite, Takayasu, had to bow out late in the game due to what seemed like a very bad bicep/elbow injury, but there were some stunning bouts early on, and he wasn't alone in the "very good work" department. Several newcomers and youngsters were able to wow Z and I as we watched, and if you're looking to access sumo for the first time, this is probably the basho to do it on.

If you'd like to watch the two-week extravaganza, I suggest checking out Kintamayama, as he does some great coverage!

These three go together like three plaits on a braid. It's like they were always meant to be!

In AEW news, they're going full steam ahead towards the next PPV, and I'm loving the interplay we're seeing with Marko Stunt, Luchasaurus, and Jungle Boy. Stunt has been hanging around backstage at AEW shows (in storyline) and getting picked on and derided by wrestlers and nonwrestlers alike (Billy Gunn even tells him to "grow up a little" in one sketch) until Luchasaurus voices that he and Jungle Boy have his back. Jungle Boy just about killed me with his great Tarzan spot with Stunt - I was laughing too hard to breathe!

As I was typing all of this up, however, we wound up with some amazing news:

AEW will premier on TNT on October 2nd! We now only have 70 days until AEW is on television! I know I'll be doing my best to watch - will you?


You will never hear the word "tiddlywinks" the same way again...

In other Wrestling talk, Z and I watched a Christmas episode of RAW that... well, it was awful and I loved it. If you were an Attitude Era fan, you probably know what episode I'm eluding to when I say that the reindeer costume Sable was wearing perfectly conveyed the utter depression that storyline caused, and also: wtf Gold Dust? Or rather, the Artist Formerly Known As Gold Dust... lol.

I'm more excited about this episode, though, in a New Japan way, because this RAW took place in Lowell, Massachusetts. It, in fact, takes place in one of the venues New Japan is coming to! If you have the WWE Network and you want to see what the Lowell location looks like before deciding whether or not to go to the New Japan show, give it a gander. It's 12/22/1997, if you need to go by date.

I think that'll about do it for me - Z and I are planning on catching up with New Japan's G1 Tournament today, so you may hear more about it from me next week.

Until then...

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!