Monday, July 22, 2019

Fiber Monday 230: Never Give Up

I'm not giving up on this shawl...
The skull shawl is taking way too much time, I think. While, yes, 90℉ (~32℃) heat with 60-80% humidity or higher has been far beyond my capacity to withstand with fabric covering one leg and most of one hand, it's not the weather that's slowing me down.

I'm getting bored.

So how do you combat project boredom?

You certainly don't give up. That defeats the purpose of the Project!

No, you just find something else to do for a tiny bit.

That's a 24oz water bottle, btw


My secondary project here is a pair of shorts based on the Micaela pattern from DROPS by Garnstudio. Their pattern calls for a far lighter weight yarn than I'm using, which is why I'm saying they're "based" on Micaela. I plan to also make a version of the Seashore top.

The yarn I'm using is a worsted weight cotton Sugar N Cream I picked up years ago at the local WalMart. This is a huge spool which is perfect for making one big project or several smaller ones (like face cloths or coasters). You can, obviously, use whatever yarn you want, provided you're careful about your gauge and conscious of the weight and drape it'll have on you.

These shorts will probably be used for either swimming or lounging, depending on how they fit (if they fit). If the shorts don't fit, I'll hold off on the Seashore.

The first real round on these calls for some weird skipping and grouping, but the only
stitches I've needed so far are chains, single crochet, and double crochet.

The second row is straight double crochet

And the third alternates double crochet and chain stitches.
Then you make another double crochet round.
I'll be honest, this isn't the best-written pattern I've ever read. I enjoy the ones that are written for slackers or tired grandmas who don't want to have to interpret things overmuch while working. I hope these work out - I haven't made a garment that wasn't an accessory beyond a sweater for one of my nieces ages ago...

I think that'll about do it for me today, though. It's the first good day in a while, temperature-wise, and I'm able to sit in my room comfortably without sweating through my mattress. Ew.

Regardless, it's pretty nice today, and I'd like to enjoy it. I hope things are relatively decent out there for the rest of you, too.

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!