Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Talk About Tuesday 230


It's finally not a million degrees out there. The air is cool and damp - it feels like fall, almost, and I'm absolutely down with that. I'm wrapped up with my extra-big coffee mug next to me, typing away. My desktop is littered with text documents of varying lengths, and I'm pretty excited for the projects inside them. I've been typing away at the Gimmicksmith, I've been working on a potential graphic novel script, I've been working on my weird cannibal vs possibly insane writer story, and I'm trying to figure out where I'm going with an intentionally trashy story about a shark. So... busy busy.

As for crochet, I'm still working on the shorts, though I have to admit that the Micaela pattern is a bit... obtuse on occasion. I want to make a few other projects after the top and shorts, too, like a plushie version of a pocket shark. If I were really crazy, I'd get some glow-in-the-dark thread to add to black yarn and add hidden pockets that contain glow-in-the-dark glittery fabric... that would be so cool. I also want to work on some other stuffed animals and some character bags.

Art-wise, I kind of want to draw some of the characters from my Scarlet Rose Manor series. This world was created for a graphic novel class in college and was one of the only assignments I got higher than a B- on. I was really proud of it and really enjoyed making it, so suddenly I had a million more ideas for it!

I'm looking forward to watching some more wrestling, too! It's great to see the internet really opening up to wrestling and learning how creative these guys are. I'm still a huge fan of Luchasaurus, too, in case anyone was wondering.

As far as movies go, we watched a really weird one last night, but I still have a plan for this Friday.

Actually, here's a schedule for you:

  • Tomorrow I'm going to talk a bit about Sumo and how much I love watching Al Snow talk about wrestling.
  • Thursday will have me doing the art thing!
  • Friday will absolutely be about The Last Black Man in San Francisco
  • Saturday is kind of up in the air - I haven't found a game to talk about yet.
  • Sunday will be a baking day on the blog!
  • Monday will inevitably contain skulls, but also shorts progress!
  • Next Tuesday, I'll be back here blathering away.
So far, today has consisted of trying (and failing) to take pictures of the butterscotch-colored pigeon we've had under our feeder, looking for the cat, drinking coffee, and writing. I'm at 1100 words on the pre-script for my Scarlet Rose based graphic idea, but there's no scriptwriting yet. I'm just nailing down characters and setting at this juncture. After this point, I'll start writing actual scenes. I think I'll enter with my character getting his assignment to go to a spooky haunted island. The project is tentatively called Spook Patrol: Isolation.

Spook Patrol is actually a spinoff of the Scarlet Rose stories which follows one of the side characters, Spencer, through his employment with a fairly bizarre internet-based ghost hunting show called Spook Patrol. Yes, I looked up a list of ghost hunter/paranormal shows and tried to make the dumbest name possible. I like the idea that this group with a stupid name ends up getting entangled with actual eldritch horrors and the only one who has any idea how to survive is the little nerdy guy who secretly has already been there, done that, and has the mental scars to prove it. Poor Spencer...

When I write, I usually like some noise, and depending on what I'm writing, that can either contain vocals or it has to be just plain music. Writing my blog, I like to have YouTube videos playing - either some Let's Plays or someone giving a tutorial on how to sew or something. When I'm writing stories, however, it's usually best to just have music.

If my story is pretty chill at the moment (like most of a story I've been pecking away at called Sorcery Con Leche is), I like to put on some jazz or bossa nova playlists. If I'm writing something a little more hardcore, I'll go with something like video game boss music, metal, or cyberpunk. If I'm just feeling like some sound behind the writing in general, I like to go with lo-fi hip hop or Japanese City Pop. On occasion, I'll want something classical - Satie, Gershwin, Copeland, Stravinsky, etc.

Sometimes I'm feeling... weird. If I'm feeling weird, there's only one band to turn to:


Seriously, I love me some psycho-surf, and these guys are some of the best. I'm not exaggerating when I say that Daikaiju make writing feel like a privilege when I use them to back me up. I want to buy every album they've ever put out and play them at full blast until I get the cops knocking down the door with a noise complaint.

Daikaiju are the October Dark of music for me - obscure to most, fantastic, and highly inspirational.

At the end of the day, however, mostly, I just love good music, and any of it helps.

How do you guys get the writing down when you write? Do you use music? What are your guys favorite bands or classical pieces? Let me know in the comments if you could!

Now Go Enjoy Something!

FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!