Sunday, July 21, 2019

Survival Sunday 229: Oden Again

Remember how I've made oden before? I made it again! This time, I used more water, less powdered oden base, and slightly different ingredients!

To make this oden, I used:

  • A small "Graffiti" eggplant
  • Much more daikon
  • hot dogs
  • green onion/scallion
  • frozen corn
  • generic store-brand frozen shaved steak product
  • firm tofu

I brought the hotdogs and scallions from my house in a cooler, which is why they're
in sandwich bags and full of condensation!


From left to right: frozen corn, firm tofu, generic shaved "steak" product

A big daikon chunk!

A very blurry photo of the awesome "Graffiti" eggplant

And, of course, the Oden Base

Prepping the corn in a separate bowl for ease of adding to the pot later.


The first thing I did was add a few cups of water (I didn't really measure this time, though I probably should have) to a pot and then toss the weird meat rectangles in. I figured they'd dissolve into the water over time, but they surprised me by holding up fairly well!


Even if they are a bit terrifying to look at...

My first major surprise of the day happened as the water grew closer and closer to a simmer - there was enough red food dye in that meat that the water turned a horrible shade of blood red


The color did not translate well.
Have you ever had a nosebleed in the shower? Yeah.
That's the color.
 Meanwhile, Z got to chopping and slicing and otherwise prepping the veggies that would go in this weird, wonderful oden:

Z did a fantastic job on the eggplant - it's exactly how I envisioned it!


I was worried that these chunks of daikon would be too big, but since they sat in the pot so long, they were great!

The next step was adding the daikon to the pot:

The meat had pretty well shredded itself into oblivion at this point,
but that was exactly what I wanted, so it worked out well.

Then I added the eggplant and frozen corn. If you live in one of the areas where they don't have "eggplant" at the supermarket, that's just what Americans call aubergines, so you'll be fine. It's not some weird local food like fiddleheads or whatever.


Everyone getting to know each other in the hot tub, lol!


The next step was, of course, the tofu!



Z cut it into these great square slabs - perfect for grabbing with chopsticks!


I took this opportunity to also cut the hotdogs into thirds. These were leftover from a cookout my folks had thrown for the family, so they were pretty good quality. I cut them, then I stabbed them gently in a few spots so they wouldn't just explode.

It was pretty pointless to poke them. They exploded anyway...

Not that exploding hotdogs are necessarily bad in an oden!
They were actually really good!


Here, you can see the oden after it has cooked for a looooooooooooong time!

This oden probably boiled together for more than a half hour before I added the seasoning packet. We added some soy sauce, some ramen pepper, and a tiny, tiny hint of delicious sesame oil.

I have a rare treat for you guys today, though:







That's right! Your old pal the Filthy Casual made a real live movie!!! I'm sorry again for the vertical aspect ratio at the beginning, but this was only my second video ever, so I hope you'll forgive me!

I've also got photos of the aftermath:


Look at all of this food!
Look at it! We had leftovers!
Actual legit leftovers!


Now, you may look at that heaping bowl of food (and bare in mind that Z had a bowl of equal size as well!) and think "there's no way that FC and Z finished off their servings!"


We did. And it was awesome.

I will say this - I used too much water. I should have had probably a cup and a half less to get more flavor out of the oden base, but it was still pretty decent. With how heavy all of the ingredients were, it would've been... inadvisable to have too strong a broth. As it was, we were in a food coma for the rest of the darn night!

If you'd like to replicate this at home but you don't have oden broth, you can make your own broth using soy sauce, soup broth (your choice of flavors!), maybe some bonito flakes if you have access, and plenty of pepper of any kind! Then you just gather whatever it is you want to eat in this hearty soup and boil them together for as long as you like. The longer the ingredients mingle, the more flavor you'll get out of them!

If I was really, really crazy, I think I'd add a raw egg straight into the bowl just after adding the oden. If the oden were still hot enough, it would cook the egg enough to be safe, but it wouldn't ruin the thickening properties of the yolk.

That might kill you, though. What with all the calories...

Still, it was a fantastic day spent making fantastic food!

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!