Monday, August 19, 2019

Fiber Monday 234: Botching the Finish For Dummies

In which the Filthy Casual learns the importance of reading the pattern.

I was 100% committed to finishing the Lost Souls shawl this week. Then I got to the end of a nose/close row and realized something very, very important:


I didn't have enough thread to continue to the end of the shawl at this width...

That's right, I went on autopilot, folks. Oops. Ah well, at least now I know where to pull down to (the double shell before the new row of skulls, actually)! That should make things move much faster and I will absolutely 100% guaranteed be done with this behemoth undertaking.

Next week.
IT TAUNTS ME

All joking and bitterness aside, I really have learned a lot on this project, and if you've been working on your own Lost Souls Shawl from Maryetta Roy on Ravelry, I hope you've learned from my foibles!

If I were to recreate this project I would do several things differently:

  • I'd use a heavier yarn, like a DK or a Worsted weight and a 4.00-5.00mm hook. That way it would go much faster.
  • I would work on it much more consistently and much faster than I did this time, refusing any distractions or "better projects" that popped up.
  • I would read the pattern as I worked instead of memorizing the body of it and hoping I knew where to stop - I didn't. Clearly.
  • I would NOT LET IT GO ON FOR 16 WEEKS.
  • lol
Still, it's a very pretty shawl and I love it. I kind of want to find a lacy bat pattern shawl too! Maybe make lacy bats on a hat or shrug, wear the skull shawl, and have lacy spider wristers? Ooh, Halloween 2020 plans?

Because that ain't happening in 2019. I need a break from complex. I need something simple. Like a granny square. Or a Double Crochet beanie or something.

No more lace, plz. Kthanxbai.

Go Enjoy Something (and read the pattern!)
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!