Thursday, August 15, 2019

Thursday Art Walk 233: Comical Failures

Because sometimes art projects don't work out the way you'd hoped...

Today I tried something new - I tried to make a comic. Boy was that a nightmare and a half.

So the first issue was this: I don't actually know how to draw 90% of what I wanted to draw.

I decided "so what?" and went online to find reference photos/drawing sheets other people had done so I could work on poses.

Who knew that finding a picture of a guy looking at a phone with his back to the camera was such a dang trial?! I looked for three hours on three different search engines across two different browsers and found literally nothing that worked. I had to guesstimate. That never works out well for anatomy.

Then, I had to find an action pose for a cat. That did not work out well either because I guess Scottish Folds don't jump up on counters?

Finally, I had to figure out how to get the drawings to look like a comic. Here, I have failed entirely. They just.... aren't working. At all. I can't figure out how to get things to go in the right boxes and not completely deform. Also, the photos are awful for this. Honestly, I'd be better off just cutting things out and pasting them into boxes in the real world, then scanning them onto the computer, so I might end up doing that later. For now, however, please enjoy the raw images.

Without further ado: A moment from Sorcery con Leche







Of all the images, I'm most proud of the last one with Captain Killstreak (Cap for short) settled down on the potholder so that Tim the Coffeemage cannot get his morning fix. Yes, there's a couple stories behind all this. Yes, I'm working on the story of a barista who works at a magic school. Yes, it's more comedic than anything else.

And yes, Captain Killstreak is a main character, lol!

In spite of my griping, I really hope you all get out there and...

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!