Sunday, August 4, 2019

Survival Sunday 231: Veggie Omelet

I've prepared a Veggie Omelet this week!


You know how some days, you're just really hungry? That was me the other day. I had three eggs left in a carton, a couple kiddie bowls of chopped onion and green pepper, and a stove that was calling my name.

If you want to skip the blog and watch the process, you can do so here:





Down here, though, is where the blog lives:


There were leftover peppers and onions in my fridge with no purpose.
I gave them a meal worth being chopped up for :P

A few days before this food was made, my family made a bunch of hoagies/sub sandwiches. Since I'm one of maybe two people in the house who legit enjoys veggies, there were plenty leftover, and I am not one to allow a vegetable to go to waste. I took a look at the onions and peppers and glanced up at the nearly empty egg carton in the fridge and thought "I could go for a veggie omelet right now".

I used Canola oil to lubricate the pan and fry the veggies with.
You can probably use just about any kind of oil that can be heated significantly.

I'm going to say right up front: Three eggs was probably too many. The resulting omelet was enormous, and as delicious as it was, that's a lot of eggs for one person!


But I hate leaving one egg in the carton, so I ate all three like a beast!

You may have guessed it by now, but I'm a big fan of cheese.

So finding that there was some sliced mozzarella in the fridge was awesome!

I got my ingredients together, tore two slices of the cheese into quarters so they'd melt faster, and drizzled some oil in the pan before turning the heat on and down to Medium-Low. If you want a fluffier omelet, you'll want the heat as low as it goes. I like a firm and hearty omelet, so Med-Low is how I roll.

I didn't notice the derpy face until now!

I didn't get to take many photos, unfortunately, since I was either filming or flailing (usually flailing, let's be honest), but here's what I did:

1) I fried the onions and peppers together in the pan until they were borderline-crispy
2) I beat the eggs together with a dribble of half-and-half before pouring them in the pan


Of course, since the pan was already hot from frying veggies,
it was a bit warm for the eggs and they instantly began to heat through.

Flipping omelets is something I don't think I'll ever be amazing at, but it's not the hardest thing on earth? Especially when you allow for the possibility (probability) of failure. I cannot for the life of me get the eggs to fold in half the way my parents used to do. Instead, I kind of just... tilt the pan and flip the edges as far over the center as they'll let me. It's not always the easiest way to do things, but it gets the job done!

Sometimes the omelet will look mangled. It's still delicious.
Looks are superficial.
To get your omelet out of the pan, you can either tilt the pan until your omelet falls onto a waiting plate and hope it doesn't bounce, or you can jam your spatula underneath and lift it out! I did the lifting method and it worked a charm.

For future reference, though, you're supposed to add the salt and pepper during the initial cooking, not at the end like I did, but that's life, I guess :P

I like to garnish my eggs with ketchup. I've done it since I was a toddler, and I don't intend to stop anytime soon. I like the vinegary zing it adds!

Also, I feel fancy when I wiggle the bottle back and forth trying to make zig-zag lines...

That'll do it from this Filthy Casual today!

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!