Saturday, August 24, 2019

Saturday Casual Gaming 234: Roguathia

Roguathia
by Seiyria on Kongregate

I like me some Rouguelike games, as you might have guessed, so when I see a newer game that sounds like it's going to be a Roguelike RPG, I'm going to try it out. What I found when I clicked on the link to Seiyria's Roguathia on Kongregate was... very different from what I'm used to, but I dig it.

When I say different, I mean it...

Roguathia is, as you might have guessed, a Roguelike RPG, but it's not like I'm used to seeing. If you zoom in on that screencap, you'll probably notice that the entire dungeon is rendered in ASCII, and everything is... well...

It looks like a DOS or Commodore game.

And I'm 100% there for it.

Guys, I grew up with DOS and Commodore games. It's like returning to my roots. It's like coming home. There's something comforting about this game. It doesn't hold your hand or tell you, really, anything about itself within the game itself. There doesn't appear to be any button for instructions, you have absolutely zero control over the heroes as they trudge through the dungeons, and you have no indication of what each of the three "currencies" are within the game, how they work, or what they're for until suddenly, upgrades appear and you may or may not be able to afford them.

So it's a DOS/Commodore game. It has no mercy. You don't need it.

You've got, for currencies, SP, KP, and VP. I don't understand what they are. I don't need to understand, really. All I need to know is that when SP upgrades appear, they primarily deal with character creation - different classes or races, bonuses to stats, maybe starting equipment? - and when KP upgrades appear, they're usually for the Dungeon modifiers - monsters, difficulty, depth of dungeon. I'm... lost as to what VP will get me. I think I earned some, but I was tired and just clicked "BUY" without paying much attention.

That is how it differs from a DOS or Commodore game. It's not a text-parser, it's a clicker!

So you might be trawling through your dungeon with an Evil Lizardman Archaeologist (which is 100% a thing you can get. Mine is named Esali, apparently) and if you end up with upgrades, you click on the yellow command to buy the upgrade. If you're not fond of the randomly generated critter you've got, or if they go really stupid and just... walk around the same room for 30 minutes (which is a real possibility), you can click on the Options tab and...

Commit Seppuku.

No joke.

You get your points (SP and KP, from what I can tell) and a new hero is generated to go through your hilariously labyrinthine dungeons.

I am really digging this game, and to the incredibly skilled programming nerd who generated this game: thank you. You did a really good job on this and it rocks!

Go check out Roguathia on Kongregate, guys. It's worth it!

And Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!