Monday, August 26, 2019

Fiber Monday 235: Free At Last

It only took 16 weeks...

This morning, I woke up to birdsong and cold feet. That's a very pleasant change from the usual steaming discomfort of a coastal August, so I'll 100% accept it. Cool dry air had me scrambling for my previous shawl (the green one I made on here before this madness), and I set to work with my morning coffee.


With guest star: leftover apple crisp.

It only took a couple of extra hours, but I eventually had that beautiful feeling of a job finally done. I slip stitched my last stitch, snipped and wove my tails, and...


It was finally, finally over.


I am hereby freed from the tyranny of the Lost Souls Shawl!

This is a lovely pattern, to be sure, and I might remake it someday. With a thicker fiber. And a much bigger hook.

Because 16 weeks (which, let's be honest, was really more along the lines of 40 hours total working time or so...) is insane for any project smaller than a California King sized bedspread. This should have been a 3 week project.

But I'm inconsistent in my crochet hours, distractable, and just generally undisciplined, so it took as long as it took.

It's a lovely light and airy shawl, but there's one tiny issue I have with it...

Literally tiny...

It's... it's maybe a little small? Especially for all of the time and material?


My green shawl for scale. The wings of the larger shawl can be tied behind my back to
make the shawl into a shrug. I absolutely cannot do that with the LS Shawl.

Make no mistake, this is still a shawl, it's just... small. If I wore it with a sufficiently spoopy pin, it'd make a great addition to a witch costume, so that's how I'll treat it. It's a fashionable accessory rather than a purely functional one (like the green shawl, which is great for cold nights).

I'm going to keep working on the purple project I previewed on here before, and hopefully that'll be done sooner rather than later, lol!

My final note is this:

I'm probably going to revisit another part of the pattern, specifically the shells, to make a new shawl in the future. I'd just make it more like a "viral" shawl, which is called that because of how quickly it grows. I also wouldn't be using a lace-weight linen. That was very stupid of me.

Lessons learned, shawl complete, that's one less thing to worry about this week!

That's all from me today, folks!

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!