Thursday, August 29, 2019

Thursday Art Walk 235: Study in Sorcery Con Leche

Today's subject: a Sorcery Con Leche study

I set about my morning as I often do - with chillhop and other calm music (and some coffee shop jazz) to get me in the mood as I flit about the kitchen and try to make the perfect balance of cocoa-to-coffee for breakfast. Of course, as soon as I turned around to bring the morning mocha back to the table, guess who had beaten me to it?

Thankfully, she let me set the mocha down before I took the pic...

She sat there through my entire first cup of mocha (I've had 3 today, I'm a terrible person), which meant I could not draw for about 45 minutes. It's a big mocha.

Thankfully, since the mochas are half-caff today (I didn't want to overdo the caffeine and I knew I'd be having a few cups), I'm not completely jittered out of my mind.


Although she certainly makes me feel crazy sometimes.

Eventually, however, she got down and crawled into one of her couch tents (how an 8lb cat can take up two whole couch cushions I'll never understand...) and I was able to finally start drawing.

Just as my mom came home for lunch. Ah well.


I still managed to start a bunch of sketches, though I'm not overly fond of any of them.

I plan on doing several of these "studies" where I just... draw a particular character over and over again until I don't hate what I'm looking at. Since I'm one of those people who always dislikes what they've drawn (but only when it's people, weirdly enough), I will settle for not instantly wanting to throw something out when I look at it.

If you're wondering about my process, here it is:


Basically, make a wire-frame form and estimate the position for the facial features.
Maybe add some clothing details if you're super ambitious or have very particular ideas.

When you're more or less happy with what your wireframe is providing, you can add more details.
I should not have inked this yet, but this is a study, so this will help me rough it out.

I will probably make a few more pages of Tim the Barista before I'm done.

On the back of my page, I made some notes and a new script for maybe next week:

SORCERY CON LECHE EP2
P1) LOGO
P2) TIM staring at CAP, CAP staring at TIM
P3) TIM gets up

  • CAP: "Hey, I'm talking here! Talking cat!"
P4) TIM walking away
  • TIM: "Knew I should've called that AC repair guy."
  • CAP: "For f**** sake!"

Not particularly inspired, maybe, but I'm working on it :P

As for the notes, here you go:

  • TIM'S PERSONALITY
    • Generally pretty chill, but not about coffee. Then he's a jittery beast.
    • Tim's a pretty grounded guy (no pun intended), so all of this magic stuff is a bit overwhelming. He just wants to make coffee, guys. Why are there wizards and dragons and why is his cat suddenly talking?!
  • CAP'S PERSONALITY
    • Kind of snarky, a little acerbic, used to magic and weirdness because he's a cat and they're all blase about magic - comes from centuries of utilization as witches' familiars...
    • Cap is also obsessed with video games and secretly plays when Tim is not home. He also secretly applies to new jobs for Tim, whose loyalty, he feels, is misplaced with his current coffee shop.

That's all I have for now, but I promise you, things are going to get crazier than a talking Scottish Fold (with probably a Chicago accent, if I had to guess).

I think that'll about do it for me today, guys.

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!