Sunday, August 11, 2019

Survival Sunday 232: Steak and Shake Connection

In which I make Noodles with steak and also make a milkshake!
My mom made steak, which, I may have mentioned, usually means she made too much steak for just her and my father. The leftover steak sat in the fridge for a few days before I finally asked if I could put it out of its misery, and once I was given the go-ahead, I got ready to put it in some noodz!


The Noodz

The Steak!

Some Eggs!

These Noodles came from our August Umai Crate!

Healthy Vegetable Ramen?
Better add some steak.

If you know me, then you probably know I have a somewhat rude and subversive sense of humor. One of my favorite things to do is taking a healthy option and making it as unhealthy as possible - hence adding steak to "healthy" veggie ramen!

Here we see the steak all cut up into strips and soaking in an egg bath

To make this at home, you will need:

  • Leftover protein
  • Ramen
  • Eggs
  • Spices and/or onion or garlic powder to taste

Cut the protein into manageable pieces, then crack the eggs into a bowl and scramble them up. Once the eggs are a mostly uniform yolk-color, add your protein and let it soak.


This is also when you add any herbs/spices/powders you'd like.
I believe this is garlic and/or onion powder.

 Next, you're going to want to assemble the ramen packet(s). I set the brick right in the bowl to hold it, but you don't have to. Basically, you just want to be sure what you have to work with!


The contents of the ramen pack

The Noodz

The seasoning packet

The unmarked and somewhat intimidating packet of ?

Cook your ramen according to the package. Since our package was in Japanese, I used Google Translate, and it was well worth it. The cooking instructions were hilariously dire - "Stop fire when strings become untied".


The strings are not yet untied.

Untied noodz with the steak and eggs added in!

If you're curious as to how I kept things from burning on in the pot, I actually floated the steak chunks on top of the brick before things softened up! That way, the fat started to render out of the steak (what fat was left, at least) and into the noodles, the egg bloomed into the broth, and the overall effect was delightfully easy to clean up after the fact!

Once I'd "stopped the fire" (turned off the heat and moved the pot to a cool burner),
I added the broth packet, which smelled delightful and looked really good!

Now came the moment of truth, however - what was in the unmarked packet?!

Oh. It's veggies. The kind you get in Yakisoba.
Sweet!
This meal did not last that long! We got it to the table and it was devoured in mere minutes. Honestly, there is no nobler fate for leftovers than to be cooked up with ramen. The steak had gotten tough in the fridge, but after soaking in egg and simmering with noodles for a while, it softened right up and became just as tender as when it was first cooked! The egg bath is quickly becoming my go-to trick for working with leftover meats.

Now, if you're going to have hot noodles in the summer time, you're probably going to want something to cool yourself off with, right? Of course you are! So please enjoy this week's video:




Hopefully, you all enjoy noodles and sweets in the days to come.

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!