Thursday, August 8, 2019

Thursday Art Walk 232: Sketchy Sketches

Another Thursday Art Adventure!

It's a rainy, nasty day. Today, there was smoke pouring out of an office building I used to work at (an electrical panel blew) and some lady found a dud grenade and some live blasting caps at her dad's house...

I just got grumpy that I couldn't draw downstairs because there were people watching TV down there.

I think I had the better day.

I made a couple of sketches, which are a big ol' pain in the butt to photograph, but I did my best anyway!

"Office WIP"; pencil sketch on printer paper; 2019

"Office WIP - closeup"; pencil sketch on printer paper; 2019

The above work in progress (hence "WIP") is going to be a 1990s office building full of water. This is based off of a dream I was told about, so it's going to be very, very dreamy when I color it. There will probably be a lot of pastel colors!

"Tin Twinkie WIP 1"; pencil sketch on sketchpad; 2019

This one is a bit different. I'm showing my process here! The vague loaf shape above is because I'm trying to make an Airstream camper, and they tend to be oblong in shape. This is my very, very rough initial sketch, and from here, I begin to add details.


"Tin Twinkie WIP 2"; pencil sketch on sketchpad; 2019

As you may be able to tell, I'm looking into window and door placement, vent placement, and wheel size and placement. This is kind of inspired by some art from one of my favorite teachers in college. On a lot of the art he was making back in the 2007-2008 time, he would hide a little camper in the background. It was kind of a way to keep himself on track. He retired soon after, and I mourned the loss of such a brilliant, effective art teacher at my tiny, crummy community college. The West Virginian teacher and the New Art Teacher were still wonderful teachers, but Ted was the best art teacher I think I've ever had (after my grade school art teacher...)

So, that's been my day in art!

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!